Friday, May 15, 2009

20090515 Sun with a new focuser

Motorized focusing again! The NGF-S was gone and I have a NGF-CM now. Remote focusing would allow you to look very closely on the monitor, this improves the accuracy a lot. The lack of vibration during focusing is a huge plus especially when day time seeing is always confusing enough, so additional shake from hand is certainly a bad thing.

With the new focuser, I have far more in-travel (sometimes even too much that I have to go for extension tube), and that means I can use a 0.5x binoviewer corrector at the nosepiece of my BF10, this will allow me to take full disc shot without using drift and expand technique.

1519 (GMT+8):-


1521 (GMT+8):-


Next, a 2x barlows is used, extension tube is required:-

1523 (GMT+8):-


And then 3x, guess what, I've to try many combination in order to reach focus. NGF-CM is not designed as a single focuser, it should work with another rough focuser or else the travel will be very insufficient.

1540 (GMT+8):-


And finally even 5x, I even have to slide that BF10 from the draw tube a little bit and slide that 5x a little bit as well to reach focus:

1542 (GMT+8):-


1544 (GMT+8):-



Seeing 5/10, very good indeed. Transparency is low at 1/10, cloud moving around. AR1017 is dissolving, but I expect that it will still be there as some sort of remnant.

No comments: