Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Visual observation in the urban center

Don't call me crazy, it's do-able. Scorpius is hanging outside, the moon is very bright today. Guess what, it implies that the transparency is very high! So I pulled out my Orion 100mm f/9 ED to have some scanning with my Pentax SMC XL 40mm...

Once I located something interesting, I will use my Nagler Type 6 13mm. You know, 13mm is really a magical focal length, it gives wonderful view indeed. M6 is superb, and M7 is fantastic... you will know why they got their names... amazing! Refractor view is really wonderful.

I tried to locate M4, and I know it's a very hard target in urban sky... I tried to locate it before with a C8 but failed. But then I tried to see it in darker sky with my 70mm Ranger and it's just so easy... I tried again this time with my 100mm and I did it this time. With the 40mm, I know it should be there but it is not. Pushing up with a 13mm, it's there really! Adding a 2x barlows helps a little bit further by darkening the sky. Very nice! Who said M4 is not detectable in urban sky! We got the moon tonight too! Patience is the king, just keep trying...

No comments: