Friday, July 17, 2009

20090717 DSLR video capturing - Jupiter

This is more like a test of equipment, my DMK is perfect for monochromatic capturing, and after using it, I dare not to look back... so for color, maybe my DSLR can do? However, my Canon 450D does not support video mode directly, so I used the video capture software for Canon DSLR (third party, non-standard) to see if I can capture planet with it. It supports more than 20 fps, and at the same time, you can adjust the ISO and shutter speed manually. I found that it's delivering pretty clean images up to ISO 400, and even at ISO 1600, it's not much worse than a ToUCam Pro. The downside is that the file captured is not in raw format, but anyway, why not give a try first?



The above is done with Registax. Registax V5 can do the stacking without problem, but it's much slower than with AVI.

My intuition told me to use my Ranger for testing, but focuser travel requirement stops me from using higher power, so I'm limiting myself to 480mm in the dark. In short, the 2x barlows requires more back travel than I can provide in a rush in the dark. The 5x is too dim for my eyes to judge the focuser travel requirement. Therefore, I will want to verify this in day time before the next test.

When the sky turned blue, I asked myself, why didn't I try to use my Canon 100-400mm with a Kenko 2x?! At least I will have 800mm and there won't be any focusing issue! This is just similar aperture with my Ranger! Silly me, maybe next time. Maybe I shall also try out my 100mm ED as well.

The software:

http://valexvir.narod.ru/

No comments: