Tuesday, November 20, 2007

20071120 Lunar Observation

C5 with Tele Vue 2x Barlows, DMK 31AF03. Seeing 2-5/10, transparency 6-7/10.


Before taking the images below, I used my binoviewer with 20mm eyepiece to look around to see if there's anything interesting to my eyes.

2322 (GMT+8), Copernicus and on its left, we got Reinhold and Reinhold B (smaller), and on the right, we have Gay-Lussac. Copernicus is my prime target of this shot, I intend to capture the central peaks. "There is something wrong with the impact-melt idea when applied to Copernicus" for there is a significant different from the theoretical model and the measured value on the floor to the highest peak. [The Modern Moon - A Personal View - Charles A. Wood]


2326 (GMT+8), on the far side we have Anaxagorus, [The Modern Moon] said its floor is virtually invisible, and sometimes the bright top of its central peaks can be seen from Earth, shall try again later:-


2328 (GMT+8), Gassendi but this is not my prime target in this shot, the very shallow crater-like circular feature catches my attention, actually, this is the feature which attracted me to start this short imaging session, I'll look for information about it:-


Additional remarks after posting on Cloudynights, we have some nice information here:-

Lunar Observing forum

Carol L from Cloudynights added labels for me:-



And I just read an article from Dec 2007 S&T, I guess it's one of those ghost craters, or pre-mare crater. I'm wondering if I should start a fun project to hunt for more ghost craters.

No comments: