Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Changing landscape of the DSLR choice

Starting from the date of 300D, I was considering and now, I'm still considering. The major reason is that, the perfect model (also considering cost) is not yet here, and the even more important reason is that, I don't have time to really use it as well.

But for the next year, I'll probably buy one with 90% of chance since I'll be going for a solar eclipse trip, I can't afford to waste the chance to take some really nice shot as life long memory.

My decision is about ready in terms of the camera body, right now 40D is probably the only choice due to the relative low noise level and the ability for live preview. Live preview is very important for ease of use, it basically free you from having to bring a laptop just for computer assisted focusing. I consider it a must-have feature now. So, if the deadline is tomorrow, I'll probably buy a 40D just for the live preview.

On the lens, the decision was there for quite long and the line up would be a EF-S 10-22mm for absolute wide field, I truely love wide field since it allows me to capture more context and it's always easier to do. And for daily snapshot it will be a EF 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4, just for large aperture. And then finally a 200mm f/2.8 for some wide field deep sky shots, and this is about the "leisure" limit for my TG-SP II without too much guiding.

However, these days with the release of a new kit lens, i.e. that EF-S 18-55mm with IS, actually, IS is not something attracts me for a DSLR, but it's reported that the image quality of this new lens is actually very high! It even cause me to think that a EF-S 10-22mm is no needed any more, since this one can already give me a pretty wide field! Maybe a fisheye lens will be great to replace that EF-S 10-22mm in that case, to go even further. That really saves some budget and it's also good for daily snapshots.

Therefore, right now my candidate set is:-

- Camera body: the successor of 400D, if it has live preview, otherwise, 40D will be my choice
- Camera lens: 17-55mm IS kit, 200mm f/2.8 and maybe also a 50m f/1.8... and then a fisheye later

Let's wait and see.

No comments: