Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Further downsizing: Skywatcher Sky Adventurer


This is a huge move again.

My GOTO Mark-X is very portable but yet, it requires a "heavy" 410 geared head, and it is rather heavy and bulky as well.  So here I go for an even smaller mount.  This mount should be able to do astrophotography and it should be able to let me use my C5 visually or for planet imaging.

First of all, the tripod that I'm going to use is a Velbon mini-white.  It is ultra-portable as you can see from the above picture on the right.  It can even sneak within a lens compartment of my Fastpack 350!  Next is the Sky Adventurer, the mount body could be hidden in a lens compartment of my Fastpack, too!  The polar wedge is lighter and easier to use than the 410 geared head, and again, could be fitted into a lens compartment.

This is what I have fitted within the lower padded compartment of my Fastpack 350 as shown above:

Upper left: Canon 50mm f1.8, plus a ASI 120mc for guiding.

Lower left: Skywatcher main body which is a self contained mount with hand controller and battery compartment, polarscope!  It even features an ST4 style guider port!

Upper middle: a Velbon mini white tripod, frankly, it's even more miraculous than the Sky Adventurer and they are also a perfect fit.

Upper right: polar wedge for the Skywatcher

Lower right: a Canon 200mm f2.8L

Also a Canon 70D with a 8mm fisheye lens

What's left is a L adapter containing also the DEC body on the upper compartment, and the notebook computer in its own compartment.  Too good to be true, right?  A simple backpack containing all the lenses, tracking mount with guiding, guider and camera!

The picture on the right is the testing setup.  It takes a Ranger without any problem and I would say a C5 is easy for this small guy with proper balancing on the other side of the L adapter.

No comments: