Saturday, October 15, 2011

A trial run of the Mark-X

We have some sunshine but we have even more cloud.  It would not allow good images but it would not stop me from trying out hand tracking with the Mark-X.


This is the setup.  The hand tracking knob is very nice, and it's long enough to be controlled by me with another hand on clicking the computer for which the LU070M is driven, hand tracking is easy and smooth and it's definitely good enough for solar or lunar imaging.  Planet imaging could be more challenging but then I believe it's also doable.

It's a bit ridiculous that I've a motorized focuser but not a motorized mount.  Anyway, I kept the NGF-CM mostly for its 2" capability rather than its motor.

I didn't even open the window mill since I don't think I can capture any good image under this sky condition.  Here's the result anyway, and the sun is full of activities!


It's a pity that I don't have an H-alpha filter with me now, not even a good white light filter.  Anyway, I will enjoy whatever I have on hand.

Conclusion of priority:
  1. I will buy a good ball head first so that I can use this mount by manual tracking first.
  2. Motor will be next, hacking the motor controller will be even later.
  3. Mounting plate final, not until everything is ready.

No comments: