Wednesday, January 23, 2019

20190122-0123 水浪窩 Camping

I am trying out my new ultra-light gear.  Everything packed and it was less than 8kg including my Canon 450D modified with my new Canon 24mm STM.  I really love this new backpack for ultra-light trips.


Bu then I forgot that regular camera lens won't come to infinity focus after removing the low pass filter, last time I made the same mistake in Chek King (赤徑) and life has to repeat the same failure. 

Given the failure last time, I didn't realize that until after several shots.  To solve the problem, I found that EF lens could reach infinity focus with a CLS filter installed in front of the CMOS, but then EF-S lens was not compatible with the drop-in CLS filter.  So, I'll have to come back to EF lenses.

It was Tuesday night, but we still got two other groups around.  One was a family, they even setup a campfire, singing some Christian hymns with guitar.  I went to the other side of the wind in order to get rid of the smoke.


My minimalist setup, but yet still quite comfortable, for I've a carbon fiber foldable camp chair.


Here are the out of focus shots before bright moon light comes!  By then, I didn't even need a flashlight to move around the campsite.  I even have to use eye patch to sleep inside the tent.  Temperature was below 10 degree Celsius, but I forgot to bring my thermometer to tell the actual reading.  Wind kept sneaking into my tent, moving the inner mesh wall.



I got only a small tripod.

I shall try to make some star trails next time if the sky was not great, and then I shall try to bring a tracking mount when the sky might be better.  This is not a perfect site for astrophotography, but then it's reachable to me easily.

After maybe around two hours, I went to sleep.  Breakfast time on the next morning!


On the way leaving the site, I found the grass land besides the helicopter pad could be a good spot for imaging.


We should stay outside the landing pad, in order not to hinder any emergency mission.

For ultra-portable setup, I shall use a fixed short tripod.

For tracked imaging, I shall use a taller tripod, in order to do the polar alignment.

No comments: