Friday, December 21, 2018

Chuwi Lapbook 14.1

I've a cheap Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 laying around and it could be used for astronomy purpose.  The first thing I will need to do, is to expand its storage, so that it could store more images or even video from Sharpcap.  This is only possible with the earliest version of the model which comes with a m.2 slot, later versions have it removed silently.  On simple disassembly, I found that I am lucky enough to have the original version!

I got a really cheap one from taobao, and it has 128G in size, which is about right in terms of price and size!  It makes no sense to buy something expensive for a cheap notebook!  128G will triple the original size!  This SSD has a form factor of 2242, but it also comes with two detachable parts for better compatibility with bigger form factors.


Windows managed to detect the SSD without problem, and after simple partitioning and formatting, it's ready for use.


A quick speed test was conducted in Sharpcap, it's way faster than the original internal SanDisk eMMC!



In addition to my Voyo, this Chuwi could be used as well.  I suspect it will yield higher fps than the Voyo which features a faster CPU.

No comments: