Monday, October 08, 2018

20181007-1008 Camping and wide field imaging

Camping means heavy gear, you have a tent, cooking stuff, sleeping stuff, food, water, etc.

Stargazing is never light weight as well.

But I'm trying to combine these two, and I don't have a car.  I've to rely on public transportation which means very limited access both in terms of location and time - the last bus could be as early as 21:00 so that I won't have much time to observe if I had to go home.  So, it would be nice to stay overnight.

This time, I choose Shui Long Wo (水浪窩), which has better access, the last bus would be 00:00 so that I could go even after dinning with my family.  With heavier gear, the location could be reached in less than 20 minutes walk.

Water source is not too far away, but the supply could be unstable.  The toilet on the roadside could easily ran out of water due to the heavy usage from the nearby BBQ sites.  There is another water source up there in the middle of the way to the campsite, but this one could go out of order as well.

Since this is just a test of the concept trip, I brought only a DSLR with a fisheye lens on a camera tripod.  I've 15kg of stuff together with 5kg of water acquired in the middle of the road.  I believe I could further trim down the weight by 2-3kg.

The first one was taken before midnight at around 22:30, light pollution was serious.


The second one was taken around 3:00am, the dark was darker.


No more than 20s exposure could be used, or else the screen would be saturated.

It would be a bit too soon to conclude that this site is no good, since you could thin from the above that a thin layer of cloud/mist was there.

No comments: