Tuesday, July 10, 2018

20180710 Jupiter and a new telescope

I sold all my telescopes except my Tele Vue Ranger.  But then I wanted to look at the planets and I soon realized that the chromatic aberration is annoying.  I don't need aperture, and I need to keep portability so a better refractor is a normal step forward.

I didn't buy a new telescope for a long time.  I did buy some 2nd hand telescopes, and an absolute new one might be my C8?  This time, I bought a FCD-100 based ED refractor.  Let's see an image taken tonight first:


1342 (UT), taken with a 5x Powermate, we have the GRS on the lower left.  I'm pretty confident that this little new refractor is going to perform quite well.

Seeing was extremely poor, and cloud was floating around.  I got a single AVI after waiting for a long time.

A separate article will be written on the first night impression of this refractor, at less than half the cost of the Ranger twenty years ago!

No comments: