Friday, January 20, 2012

GOTO Mark-X finalized

Both sides have slow motion control now, the azimuth side was augmented with a dovetail saddle which I already had. This is the front view, one of the sides was mounted using a simple L-bracket, it's thin but it should be strong enough to hold lighter scope and camera. I've drilled an extra-hole to hold a ball head in case I wanted to.



This view shows the difference between two mounting methods.  A solid 6061 aluminium block should provide very rigid mounting but yet simple enough.



I made these by using hand drill and hand saw, persistence and patience is the key.  It's now much lighter than the setup which I got from the original owner, and it even provides slow motion control which is absent previously.

--

I've tried to test this setup out in the same afternoon by using the sun as the target.  Unfortunately, there was so much cloud around, but fortunately, I could truly test the tracking capability of the mount under this situation since when there was a short cloud gap, I could always see the sun!


No comments: