Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Inventory Checking

Small adapters were not checked.

Telescopes/Objectives:

1. 70mm f=500mm achromatic objective mounted with 77mm thread
2. Tele Vue Ranger
3. Canon 10x30 IS
4. Fujinon C mount 75mm f1.8, Computar 6mm f1.2

Eyepieces, Barlows and Diagonals:

1. Pentax 40mm SMC XL
2. Tele Vue Nagler 13mm Type 6
3. Tele Vue Powermate 5x and 2x Barlows
4. Japanese Widescan Type III 20mm
5. Japanese Ortho 7mm
6. 0.5x binoviewer corrector
7. Tele Vue 1.25" mirror diagonal
8. Chinese 2" mirror diagonal

Mount/Tripod:

1. Gitzo G106
2. Manfrotto 410
3. iOptron SmartStar GPS
4. Takahashi TG-SP II

Camera and accessories:

1. Lumenera LU070M
2. JMI NGF-CM with Tele Vue Ranger adapter
3. Solarmax 40 with BF10
4. Thousands Oak Type II+ for Ranger

--

As one can expect, with this combination, it's natural to look for something bigger... The bottleneck is on the mount, so what's the bigger aperture that I can get with my current mounts? C5 would be marginal, a Borg 101ED might be lighter but longer... maybe a 90mm Maksutov?

On the other hand, maybe it's wise to switch the NGF-CM to something with longer focus travel?

Right now my setup is obviously optimized for solar observation and wide field imaging, visual observation is pretty limited due to the small aperture, similarly planet imaging is limited as well. An upgrade to moderate aperture like 5" would be a nice step but then it might push the mount a little bit.

--

What I love to do?

Over all these years, I guess that I know what I really love to do and what I can really do. First of all, when imaging is concerned, I will love to do solar/lunar/planetary and also short exposure (several minutes) wide field portable imaging. Secondly, when visual observation is concerned, I love wide field scanning for brighter deep sky objects.

No comments: