Tuesday, December 04, 2018

20181129-1130 Modified Canon 450D first light (Camping in Chek King)

I went for a camping trip and astrophotography was only a very small part, so I used a mini-tripod with a small ball head only, and I only had my Canon 50mm f1.8 with the modified 450D.


To keep the story short, I found that the 50mm f1.8 could no longer reach infinity focus when the IR filter is removed!  The 50mm f1.8 has very limited focus travel, and this is the problem.  Notice that it's not autofocus that fails, this is anticipated due to the change of the optical path length.

It's one of the best night for the last decade, luckily I've my Canon 10x30 IS with me and I enjoyed tremendously!

Sirius with M41, I love to catch the view when it's still low in the sky, the tree as foreground is very nice!


M31 at the corner.


M45 hanging just above the trees.


The Orion and M42 just went above the tree!  Note that red color on M42, it used to be purple before.


Later I found that if I insert a CLS filter between the lens and the camera, it will reach infinity focus again!  Next time I shall try this one combination out.

For wide field, maybe my Canon 70D is better due to the movable LCD, composition should be far easier.  The modified 450D might be better for targets richer in H-alpha.

No comments: