Friday, July 15, 2016

20160715 Sun

Got a half day off today with the kids, found that the sun could be seen from another room with a less desirable angle, anyway, why not?

Pull out everything and went to another room, the view was a bit blocked but still do-able.  The JMI focuser controller is oh-no, low battery and cannot move at all.  Removing four screws and replace the battery is time consuming, the sun was going away.  My Teclast was low battery, too, just 7% left... what's bad is that, I couldn't charge it and use the USB port for my cheapy bw cam at the same time... So, I took the plunge and do it all without all those adversities.


Click for full size, taken at 0724 (UT)... T-max does not tuned well, aligned with only a single point, i.e. AR 2565.  I had just ordered an ASI 120mm (again) in the hope to get better image, let's see.  Why I was selling that was due to the Newton's ring, and my current bw cam got Newton's ring too...

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Motoring the DEC axis of the Sky Adventurer mount

Found suitable gears and motor, installed them right away.

Step one: try to find the suitable location for the motor for correct gear meshing, fix it with a tape:


Then, use some instant glue to fix it in place, add hot melt glue to further reinforce the position.


Finally, solder cables and also standard jet for connection to the controller box.  Add hot melt glue to insulation the bare end of the cable.


Done. 

A short clip before the soldering work to show the gear meshing: